Monday, December 12, 2011

Duties of the Head Homeroom Parent

I was thrilled to be asked to be the head home room parent for my son's class this year. My son was also excited, and when I shared the news with him he yelled happily, "Yeah, my mommy is the head homeroom parent now!" Then he followed up with, "Uh, Mom, what is the head homeroom parent?"

The duties of the head homeroom parent are basically to plan the parties that will take place during the school year. I was asked after someone else forfeited the role, so I do feel fortunate that they considered asking me. While it is quite a bit of work, I have been enjoying it, mostly. One of the most surprising things is the lack of response from some of the parents. While some are eager to help and share ideas, others do not answer the phone, return emails, or even acknowledge me. I am a bit shy when it comes to speaking on the phone, so it is a bit difficult for me. I get nervous and contemplate what to say and how to say it, and continue to be as friendly as possible. I spend the whole day planning what to say, and then I usually get the machine and end up having to leave a message. Luckily, we have email these days, and I am better at composing my thoughts on paper (or on a screen) than actually speaking them out loud. Regardless, I keep preserving and planning the parties to the best of my abilities.

I have been surprised by one other factor. There are no longer Christmas and Halloween parties, we now have Winter and Fall parties instead. (But really--the kids were all dressed in costumes and there were decorations everywhere--it was a Halloween party, but whatever.) I do understand that we need to be accepting of other customs, religions, and traditions that others may practice, so I am OK with it. Sometimes, it makes the planning a bit difficult. Is this too scary or Halloween-ish? Is this more winter-themed or more Christmas-themed?

I am planning the upcoming Winter Party now, and I am trying to make it as fun as possible, without getting into the Christmas aspect too much. That is kind of hard for me, as we do believe in Christ and we do celebrate Christmas in our home. But, I am sticking to snowmen and snowflakes for the party, and leaving the Santa, Christmas tree and Nativity scene for at home.

I am going to be sharing a few tips in future blog posts that I have found through research, advice from others, and my own experiences with planning the parties.

Are you a head homeroom parent? What kind of parties does your child's school do?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...