Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Things I said I Would Never Do Before Becoming a Parent

I am sure we all have plenty of things we said we would never do before becoming a parent, and then later find ourselves doing those things we never said we would do. I know I have quite a long list of things I swore I would never do, which changed once my children arrived.

Here are a few of those things I said I would never do before becoming parent. I would love it if you joined me at Parent Society to read my full article, titled "Things I Said I would Never Do Before Becoming a Parent."

I will never let my children take food out of the kitchen. 

This is something my husband and I even joked about, we said we would never let the children take food out of the kitchen. While he still is against this, I admit to letting them take snacks into the living room sometimes when I want some peace and quite in the kitchen or I just don't feel like arguing.

I will never yell or scream. Instead, I will always speak to my children calmly.

I thought I would always remain calm and work through the problems I had with my children, but I can admit to yelling more than once and not always using the best choice of words. I also admit to bargaining with my children, even if some people would think of it as bribing.

I will never say certain words in front of my children. 

In regards to my word choices, there are a few four letter words that have been uttered that I may have said when I was angry, dropped something, my computer broke, etc. Those words may have later been repeated by my children.


I will never use the TV as a babysitter. 

So, this happens more often than I would like to admit, but I can admit that it does happen. I think it is awesome that some families do not use the TV at all, but I am not one of those parents. I do let my children watch a movie or a certain TV show when I need to get work done or clean. I don't let them watch whatever they want.


I will never let my children eat junk food for breakfast.

Cookies, pizza, donuts, etc. We have had those here for breakfast a time or two, or maybe more. Not that I am proud of it, but some days it does happen. I do try to have better food options for them, which my children will usually pick, so it isn't like they sit and eat junk food all day long.

I will still make sure I look presentable when I leave the house.

I had often heard of moms becoming so busy they had no time to shower, let alone fix their hair. I was never a girly girl, but I would at least put on a little cover up, maybe some eyeliner, and blow dry my hair. I thought that would continue. Now, I sometimes run to the store in sweats, with my hair in a messy bun, and no make up on whatsoever.

Do you have any to add? Comment below or join me at the Parent Society and leave me a comment there.


 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...